People often ask who I am and what I do.
You see, like most Boomers, I wear a lot of hats and have a lot of interests. And life keeps crashing in. As it does for most Boomers. That’s frustrated me, but it also gives me fodder for personal growth and then for ministry.
So here’s the short version:
- First and foremost, I’m a child of God, committed to becoming “a mighty oak of righteousness, a planting for the display of the Lord’s splendor.” That isn’t as easy as it sounds, but I’m determined to succeed and share what I’ve learned here.
- I’m the wife of Bob. We’ve been married for over 40 years. We’ve recently moved to Texas from northern California to be close to our family. We ended up buying a house two blocks from them and love being so close. My DIL’s mother also lives a block away, so we have a delightful family compound within walking distance. Best life ever! We’re fervently committed to our family and share family dinner almost weekly. Bob was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2010 and has begun to decline recently, adding new challenges to our lives.
- I’m the mom of Joshua, our only child, whom we homeschooled all but one year through graduation. We’re thrilled that he has indeed become the man God created him to be. He is married to the lovely, amazing Alisa, our daughter-in-love who is one of the best wives and moms ever. And they are the parents of the lights of our lives —Abby, Ellie, and Jack. I’ve got to tell you—being a grandma is the best! (Exhausting, but the best!).
- Until recently I was a daughter — the oldest child and the “responsible one.” I had the joy and challenge of primary responsibility for my mom and stepdad, who lived four hours from us. I began caring for them in their early 80s and continued through end of life for each of them in their mid-90s. That added a huge caregiving responsibility to life and for years, defined and delimited everything I did. As a Boomer, I find that’s not unusual. You’ll read a lot about these years in the Nurture (caregiving) section of this site.
- I’m a writer, teacher, and a prayer minister. I’ve published six books, including one in Korean and one in Chinese, as well as hundreds of print and online articles. My passion is equipping the Body of Christ, so I share many of those on this site for your free use. I do a lot of prayer and healing ministry, with an emphasis on women who have been wounded in childhood. I love teaching groups large and small, in conferences, retreats, and small gatherings. Bottom line, I’m a teacher who wants to equip the Body of Christ with biblical, problem-solving strategies for successful living amid chaos.
- I’m honored to serve as Director of Adult Education and Training at International Bible Church, Stafford, TX. It’s a primarily Indian congregation, so I’m learning a lot about a different culture. I teach, train, and preach regularly.
- I recently received my Master of Arts in Theology (Biblical Studies) from Fuller Theological Seminary. Yep, I started seminary at age 59!
Just for Fun
- What do I do for fun? I took up painting at the age of 73. I’m self-taught and still learning. But I’ll share some paintings here from time to time. So far I’m focused on flowers and still learning my style. But painting brings me joy so I continue.
Of course, there’s more. I invite you to join my journey and share yours as we figure out this Boomer life together.